COMBE MILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1053004
Date first listed:
29-Jun-1988
Statutory Address:
COMBE MILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of COMBE MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053004 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 07:11:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
COMBE MILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Combe
National Grid Reference:
SP 41660 15041

Details

COMBE

1700/17/325 COMBE MILL 30-OCT-03

GV II* Sawmill. Built by 1852 for Blenheim estate. Coursed limestone rubble; gabled concrete tile roof. 2 storeys. EXTERIOR: Front gable has keyed segmental arch over C20 first-floor door, stone lintel over C20 window to left and C20 door below. To right, a large round chimney adjoins bell cupola set in octagonal pyramidal-roofed stair-turret. Long 8-window range to rear, with timber lintels over 2 plank doors, loft door, and mid/late-C19 casements to right side wall. Keyed segmental arches over openings on left side wall. INTERIOR: The internal machinery is complete and includes a rare surviving example of 1852 A-frame steam engine with Cornish boiler and fuel store connected by line shafting to the rear room where there are bellows and a mid-C19 forge and grinding wheel, and upstairs to the mid-C19 wood lathe. Dual-drive water wheel to rear with 1926 breast fed 'poncelet' water wheel.

Listed at Grade II* for its complete and working set of machinery including the 1852 beam engine and boiler, line shafting and gearing, forge and lathe, which altogether is a rare survival of importance in a national context, and of interest as an originally dual powered mill whereby water or steam power could be used depending on the water supply. It is also architecturally distinguished externally and has historical and group value within the Blenheim estate.

Listing NGR: SP4166015041

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
252704
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11864/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Glen A. Coakley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].