CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1053025

Date first listed: 29-Jun-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053025 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 13:03:09.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Bladon

National Grid Reference: SP 44924 14827

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BLADON CHURCH STREET SP4414 (East side) 20/3 Church of St. Martin GV II Church. Medieval; rebuilt 1804 and remodelled 1891 by A.W. Blomfield. Limestone ashlar; stone-coped gabled concrete-tile roof. Chancel with north chapel, aisled nave and west tower. Decorated-style 3-light east windows; buttressed 3-bay south wall has foliated round window and cusped one-light windows; Perpendicular-style 2-light window to north and 2 cusped lights to north chapel. Nave: 3 gabled bays with 2-light Decorated-style windows to north; two similar bays and buttress with C14 tracery set in gable to south, and Decorated-style south porch. 3-stage west tower has Decorated-style 2-light belfry windows and embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. Interior: late C19 chapel and chancel arches. 4-bay timber arcade with arch-braced roof. Late C19 stained glass. Formerly the parish church of Woodstock. Sir Winston Churchill is buried in the churchyard. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp849; Bodleian Library, Topographical Drawings; National Monuments Record)

Listing NGR: SP4492414827

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 252656

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974)

End of official listing