This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ST MARY'S CLOSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST MARY'S CLOSE

List entry Number: 1053045

Location

1, FARM MILL LANE
ST MARY'S CLOSE, 27, CHURCH GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Witney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 252598

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WITNEY CHURCH GREEN SP3509S (East side) 11/27 No.27 (St. Mary's Close) 06/02/70 (Formerly listed as No.27 (Marriot's Close). Wing, to south of No.27) GV II

Includes No.1, Farm Mill Lane. House, now 2 dwellings. Mid C18 (c.1730); mid C19 alterations. Limestone ashlar front with rusticated ground floor; coursed rubble to sides and rear. Hipped -tone slate roof; end stacks of stone finished in brick. Central-staircase plan. 2 storeys and attic; symmetrical 5-window range. Mid C19 panelled double-leaf door with fanlight set in keyed arch and open-pedimented architrave with scroll brackets. Mid C19 plate-glass sashes set in keyed and raised architraves. Raised storey band; moulded cornice to parapet; 2 hipped roof dormers with C20 three-light casements. Rear: mid C19 extension (for stairs) adjoins rear right wing with late C19 bay window. Interior: hall has mid C18 panelled doors set in fine pedimented architraves. Room to left has fine fielded panelling and fireplace, with fluted pilasters and bolection-moulded overmantle. Fine dog-leg with landing staircase to rear, of c.1730 but remodelled mid C19, has turned balusters and ramped handrail. Quarter-turn service stairs to right. First-floor: room to right has panelled dado and panelled overmantle over moulded stone fireplace. C17 quartered chamfered beams to right. Butt-purlin roof. C18 two-window range to right has 6-panelled door and C19 casements in raised architraves. Wing at right angles to right: late C18, of similar materials with hipped roof to front; of one storey and attic; 3-window range with C20 door and casements and gabled half dormers; plank doors to coach house at front; left has Gothick 2-light leaded casements and panelled door with Sothick overlight.

Listing NGR: SP3568509346

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP3568509346

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053045 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 04:33:01.

End of official listing