This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS APPROXIMATELY 24 METRES AND 17 METRES NORTH EAST OF NORTH TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS APPROXIMATELY 24 METRES AND 17 METRES NORTH EAST OF NORTH TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1053049

Location

GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS APPROXIMATELY 24 METRES AND 17 METRES NORTH EAST OF NORTH TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Witney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 252605

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WITNEY CHURCH GREEN SFS5119S (South side) 11/49 Group of 3 chest tombs approx. 24m. and 17m. NE of N transept of Church if St. Mary GV II

3 chest tombs. Large chest tomb approximately 24 metres north-east. Mid C18 (c.1770). Limestone. Two winged cherubs heads above rococo cartouche; flanking pilasters have carved foliate trails; end panel has foliate sprays with heraldic crest; moulded plinth, cornice and top. Two chest tombs approximately 17 metres north-east. Late C18 and early Cl9. Limestone. Tomb to north, with fluted pilasters and moulded cornice and top, has dates 1792, 1753 and 1772 (surname illegible). Tomb to south has beaded pilaster and inscription panels, and moulded plinth, cornice and top( commemorates John ShutfreY, d.1812, son John, d.1804, and wife Mary, d.1810, and others.

Listing NGR: SP3562609291

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 35626 09291

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053049 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 09:18:09.

End of official listing