Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1053064

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: ST MARY'S PRIORY HOUSE

Statutory Address: THE PRIORY


Ordnance survey map of ST MARY'S PRIORY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053064 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Mar-2019 at 19:27:32.


Statutory Address: ST MARY'S PRIORY HOUSE

Statutory Address: THE PRIORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Witney

National Grid Reference: SP 36086 09652


WITNEY COGGES SP3609 8/90 The Priory and St. Mary's Priory House GV II*

Priory, now vicarage. c.1150-80; mainly c.1230-50; remodelled and reduced in size c. 1600-20. Uncoursed limestone rubble; gabled stone slate roof; rear lateral stack of stone finished in brick. Surviving C13 hall and services remodelled as 2-unit plan with central passage in early C17. 2 storeys; two blocks, including former hall to right, of 4-window range. Mid C13 pointed lancet to right; hood moulds over narrow mid C17 sashes set in moulded stone architraves; C20 door set in C17 pointed wall: hood moulds over mid Cl9 three-light window above early C17 cavetto-moulded stone-mullioned 4-light window; C13 windows with dressed stone surrounds, one blocked. Interior: C13 hall to right has pointed chamfered rere-arches of former windows to front and right; mid C13 common-rafter roof of very slight scantling with open notched-lap joints to braced collars. Jowled post and some timber framing remains of C13 timber screen to left of hall and flanking service passage; rear of passage has hollow-chamfered jambs of C13 door, with half-pyramid stops; 2 doorways with chamfered stone jambs to rear. C17 stop-chamfered beams, and moulded stone fireplace with spit rack to left. St. Mary's Priory House to right: built 1859. Squared and coursed linestone; gabled stone slate roof; stone end stacks. Double-depth plan. Elizabethan style. 2 storeys and attic; triple-gabled 3-window range. Canted bay window with sashes to right. Hood moulds over 2-light stone-mullioned windows with narrow mid C19 sashes. Entry to rear, Interior not inspected. History: The Priory was founded in 1103 as a daughter house of Fecamp Abbey. The roof is similar to the C13 roof of poles and small timbers at The Old Rectory, Standlake (q.v.). (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.551; J. Blair and J.M. Steane, "Investigations at Cogges, Oxfordshire, 1978-81: The Priory and Parish Church", 0xanensia, Vol.47, (1982)).

Listing NGR: SP3608709650


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 252644

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 551
'Oxonensia' in Oxonensia, , Vol. 47, (1982)

End of official listing