Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053072.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 23:57:54.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 39428 17092


STONESFIELD SP3917 15/121 Stonesfield Manor 27/08/57 (Formerly listed as Manor House)


Rectory, now house. Early C18 with addition of 1811 and alterations of c.1930 to rear. Possible late C17 core. Coursed limestone rubble (with evidence of former render, the early C19 addition with stone dressings. Stone slate roof, 2-span to left and hipped to right. Two storeys and attic with 2-storey addition. South front: integral stone and brick end stack to left and stone ridge stack (former end stack) off-centre to right, and external stone lateral stack to right with brick shaft. Further integral end stack to rear. Three hipped eaves dormers with 2-light small-paned wooden casements. 2:1:2 bays; boxed glazing bar sashes with stone cills and flat stone arches. Central C19 or early C20 six-panelled door (top 2 with margin lights) with rectangular overlight divided by central lantern, plain stone surround, large wooden architrave with carved egg and dart ornament, and doorcase consisting of panelled pilaster strips, frieze with centre breaking forward, and large carved consoles supporting moulded cornice. Early C19 one-bay addition slightly projecting to right; tripartite glazing bar sash to each floor with stone cills and lintels. Rear: possible C17 range to north-west has large integral lateral stone stack with pitched-roofed link to attic and later brick shaft. Fire insurance plate to west gable end. Interior: early C18 with early C19 and c.1930 alterations. Left-hand ground-floor room: c.1700 fireplace with architrave consisting of marble slip and wooden moulding, frieze with shaped ends, and egg-and-dart and shell ornament to cornice. c.1700 shaped-headed niche in front wall with panelled architrave and raised key. Right-hand ground-floor room: moulded cornice. Early C19 fireplace with Gothic grate. Niche in front wall with shaped shelves. Ground-floor room in early C19 addition with marble fireplace, dado rail with guilloche ornament and moulded cornice. Open stone fireplace in kitchen. Early C19 staircase consisting of open string with shaped brackets, stick balusters, ramped handrail and beaded square newel posts. Stair window with Gothick glazing bars. Left-hand rear bedroom with beaded stone fireplace and doors of c.1700 with 2 raised and fielded panels. finder oak stair to attic. Six-panelled doors throughout with panelled reveals and architraves. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p791; VCH: Oxfordshire: p184)

Listing NGR: SP3942817092


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 184


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/08957/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].