FORMER FONT APPROXIMATELY 70 METRES EAST SOUTH EAST OF KIDDINGTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053092
Date first listed:
13-Jun-1988
Statutory Address:
FORMER FONT APPROXIMATELY 70 METRES EAST SOUTH EAST OF KIDDINGTON HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER FONT APPROXIMATELY 70 METRES EAST SOUTH EAST OF KIDDINGTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053092.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 13:30:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER FONT APPROXIMATELY 70 METRES EAST SOUTH EAST OF KIDDINGTON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Kiddington with Asterleigh
National Grid Reference:
SP 41246 22815

Details

KIDDINGTON WITH ASTERLEIGH KIDDINGTON SP4122 10/69 Former font approx. 70m ESE of Kiddington Hall

- II

Font, now garden ornament. Probably C14 or C15. Limestone. Octagonal plan, although only 2 sides remain at time of survey (April 1987). Blind traceried panels to sides. Stepped octagonal stone base. Thomas Wharton (1771-1790), a former rector of Kiddington, refers to the font in his Specimen of a History of Oxfordshire (1783) and states that it came from the "Kings Chapell" in Islip c.1780. It is now a garden ornament in Kiddington park. (Thomas Wharton, Specimen of a History of Oxfordshire (1783),p16; Kiddington park and gardens are included in H.B.M.C.E. Register of Parks and Gardens at grade II)

Listing NGR: SP4124622815

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
252510
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Wharton, T, Specimen of a History of Oxfordshire, (1783), 16
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05565/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].