METHODIST CHAPEL AND ADJOINING SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1053240

Date first listed: 18-May-1990

Statutory Address: METHODIST CHAPEL AND ADJOINING SCHOOL, FISHERS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of METHODIST CHAPEL AND ADJOINING SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053240 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 15:36:32.

Location

Statutory Address: METHODIST CHAPEL AND ADJOINING SCHOOL, FISHERS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Charlbury

National Grid Reference: SP 35910 19387

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHARLBURY SP3519 FISHER'S LANE 5/54 (North side) Methodist Chapel and adjoining school GV II

Methodist Chapel and school. 1823 on gable of chapel; 1844 on school. Coursed squared rubble with ashlar dressings; slate roof. Chapel has central double doors in round arch flanked by round headed sash windows with glazing bars, intersecting at heads. 3 similar first-floor windows light the gallery at south end, all with plain stone architraves and keyblocks. Gable parapet has stone coping and ball finial. Gable-fronted school room has two 3-light stone mullioned and transomed on ground and first floor. Diocletian window in gable with mock round-headed windows with intersecting glazing bars to rear. Wesleyan Sunday School. Inside, the lobby screen under the chapel gallery has raised and fielded panels. The gallery with original tiered pews is supported on 2 wooden columns and has stairs with square-section balusters. Match-boarded dado. Original ceiling ventilors. Door from gallery leads onto first-floor school room with match-boarded roof and tie-beam trusses with wooden struts and iron ties.

Listing NGR: SP3591419388

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 254195

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing