SMALLBONES MEMORIAL ABOUT 21 METRES SOUTH OF PRIESTS DOOR OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053259
Date first listed:
01-Mar-1990
Statutory Address:
SMALLBONES MEMORIAL ABOUT 21 METRES SOUTH OF PRIESTS DOOR OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
SMALLBONES MEMORIAL ABOUT 21 METRES SOUTH OF PRIESTS DOOR OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN, LAWRENCE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SMALLBONES MEMORIAL ABOUT 21 METRES SOUTH OF PRIESTS DOOR OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053259 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 14:38:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
SMALLBONES MEMORIAL ABOUT 21 METRES SOUTH OF PRIESTS DOOR OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
SMALLBONES MEMORIAL ABOUT 21 METRES SOUTH OF PRIESTS DOOR OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN, LAWRENCE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Burford
National Grid Reference:
SP 25322 12374

Details

BURFORD AND UPTON CHURCH LANE AND SIGNET SP2512 (Enlargement) Smallbones Memorial about 21m Sodh of 7/33 about 21m South of Priests door of Church of St John.

GV II



Chest-tomb. Probably early C19. Ashlar with enriched panels, corner piers with incised Soanian fret and moulded cross-gabled acroteria with anthemion reliefs in tympana. Moulded plinth and cornice. Hipped capping. Richard Smallbones died 1757, Mary Smallbones in 1822; the monument was probably erected for the latter.

Listing NGR: SP2532212374

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
254135
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/05633/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].