This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD RECTORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1053269

Location

THE OLD RECTORY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Charlbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Sep-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 254166

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHARLBURY SP3519 CHURCH LANE 5/25 (West side) 17/9/86 The Old Rectory GV II

Vicarage, now house and surgery. 1853 by S.L. Seckham. Coursed squared rubble with ashlar dressings; plain tile roof. Gothic revival style; irregular 2-span plan. West facade. 2 storeys;3-window range of 3-light mullioned and transomed casements with stopped drip moulds. 2-storey canted bay windows in centre have a blind triangular recess and a parapet with kneelers and finial. Kneelers to left and right gables. 3 twin- shafted chimneys, one clad in brick. Entered from the east, facing Church Lane, through a porch with 2-centred door, diagonal buttresses and part- stepped gable with kneelers. Arms of W W Stodart, incumbent 1853 to 1856, over door. Y-tracery in the side porch windows is similar to the style of tracery in the Church of St Mary (q.v) Large 3-light stair window to left of porch. Interior not inspected. VCH Oxfordshire 10 (1972),149.

Listing NGR: SP3549919430

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1972), 149

National Grid Reference: SP 35501 19424

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053269 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 03:48:13.

End of official listing