THE PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053270
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1956
Statutory Address:
THE PRIORY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PRIORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053270 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 01:51:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PRIORY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Charlbury
National Grid Reference:
SP 35536 19381

Details

CHARLBURY CHURCH LANE SP3519 5/27 (South End) The Priory 27.8.56 GV II

Former court-house belonging to Eynsham Abbey. C16 or earlier with C17 and later additions. Coursed rubble; some timber lintels and ashlar dressings; stone slate roof. L-plan originally with hall and cross- passage, now with extensive additions. 2-span roof to left wing. 2 storeys and attic. Main part is a 5-window range with gabled crosswing to right. Stone mullioned windows with leaded lights and drip moulds on ground floor and to-left of first floor. C20 French windows in similar style in centre of right part. First floor has two 2-light wooden mullioned and transomed windows with ovolo moulded lintels flanking a 3- light casement. Attic window has wooden mullions with rectangular leaded lights. C16 side chimney to right; gable end chimney to left, and one ridge stack. Small C18 gable-fronted wing set back to left. Projecting C20 gabled wing in similar style to right has date 1935 on sundial. Interior has doors with 2-centred head to former service wing. Principal ground-floor room to right has ogee moulded and chamfered ceiling beams and a stone fireplace with hollow chamfer, keystone and reset jambs. Smaller Tudor-arched fireplace on first floor. Roof has windbraces and stop chamfered purlins. C17 wing to left has through purlin roof.

Listing NGR: SP3553219387

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
254168
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07583/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Priscilla Frost. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].