WAYSIDE CROSS AT NGR SP 29082329

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1053279

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 15-May-1989

Statutory Address: WAYSIDE CROSS AT NGR SP 29082329

Map

Ordnance survey map of WAYSIDE CROSS AT NGR SP 29082329
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053279 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 22:15:19.

Location

Statutory Address: WAYSIDE CROSS AT NGR SP 29082329

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Sarsden

National Grid Reference: SP 29087 23282

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SARSDEN SP22SE 7/195 Wayside cross at N.G.R. SP2908 2329 27.8.57 (Formerly listed as Cross)

GV II*

Not shown on O.S. map. Wayside cross. Apparently early to mid-C14 but possibly early C19 reusing medieval stonework. Limestone. Short octagonal shaft with gabled canopy having small circular socket to top on octagonal plinth with blind cinquefoil-headed panel to each side. Base of 6 wide steps forming irregular octagon. The cross is not marked on detailed estate maps of the area made in 1788 and 1795 nor do the accompanying terriers give any indication of its existence through field names. The cross was drawn by J.C, Buckler in 1825, the year in which most of the old church at Churchill (q.v.) was demolished, and it is possible that fragments from there were used to make up the cross. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p753; B.J. Marples: The Medieval Crosses of Oxfordshire: Oxoneinsia 38 (1973), pp.302, 303, 308; Bodleian Library, Oxford: MS.Top.0xon.a.68 No.453; Oxfordshire County Record Office, estate maps) [2645]

Listing NGR: SP2908723282

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 254090

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 753
'Oxoniensia' in Oxoniensia, (1973), 302 3 8

End of official listing