THE GREAT ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1053285

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1955

Statutory Address: THE GREAT ALMSHOUSES, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GREAT ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053285 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 11:29:57.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GREAT ALMSHOUSES, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Burford

National Grid Reference: SP 25292 12345

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURFORD AND UPTON CHURCH LANE AND SIGNET (East Side) SP2512 (Enlargement) The Great Almshouses. 7/5 12.9.55

GV II*



Also known as, and shown on map as, Warwick Almshouses. Mid C15, restored (and altered) 1828. Coursed rubble, Cotswold stone roof; 2 storeys, coped verge string over 1st floor. Coped verge to right, 2 rubble chimneys. 4 windows, 2-light lancet type with foiled heads, labels to ground floor windows and ferramenta, 2 low Tudor arch doors with labels and a central one with traceried spandrels and label. Outer slightly raised Tudor arch doorways (blocked) with labels. Tablet over central doorway inscribed "These almshouses were founded by Richard Earl of Warwick in the year 1457 and were rebuilt in the year 1828." Blocked doorway to right of this. L-plan wings to rear. J Sherwood & N Pevsner Buildings of England: Oxford (1974). R & M Moody: The Story of Burford (1983). R H Gretton: The Burford Records (1920).

Listing NGR: SP2529212345

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 254107

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gretton, R H , The Burford Records, (1920)
Moody, R, M , , The Story of Burford, (1983)
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974)

End of official listing