This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1053304



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-May-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 254051

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


KINGHAM WEST END SP2423-2523 17/154 Freeman's Close


House. Late C17, extended C18 and c.1913 with later additions and alterations. Roughly coursed and banded limestone and marlstone rubble; concrete tile roof. Original part to left, extended to right C18. Two storeys and attic. Chamfered 3-light mullion window to left and 2-light mullion window to right of C17 part on first floor. 3-light mullion window with dripstone to ground-floor left but 2-light mullion to right replaced by C20 glazed door, although dripstone remains. Open lean-to verandah (c.1913) supported on wood posts runs full length of C17 part. C18 extension to right has 3-light leaded casement directly below eaves and C20 bay window to ground floor. Gabled dormers in roof slope to left and right. Integral end stacks and ridge stack (formerly an end stack) at junction between C17 and C18 parts, 2 left stacks rebuilt C20 and right truncated. C19 lean-to attached to right gable end. Interior. Left ground-floor room has chamfered spine beam and oak winder staircase (continuing to attic, top flight renewed late C20) to right of fireplace. Inglenook fireplace to right room. Chamfered ceiling beams to first floor. Double butt-purlin roof in 5 short bays has 2 collar trusses to left of ridge stack and one to right. Parallel gabled range (c.1913) to rear on right and late C20 flat-roofed addition in angle to left are not of special architectural interest. [2603]

Listing NGR: SP2575623913

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 25756 23913


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053304 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 02:48:38.

End of official listing