BARN, COWHOUSE AND OUTBUILDING ATTACHED TO NORTH END OF GRENEMORE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053333
Date first listed:
15-May-1989
Statutory Address:
BARN, COWHOUSE AND OUTBUILDING ATTACHED TO NORTH END OF GRENEMORE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN, COWHOUSE AND OUTBUILDING ATTACHED TO NORTH END OF GRENEMORE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053333 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 08:16:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARN, COWHOUSE AND OUTBUILDING ATTACHED TO NORTH END OF GRENEMORE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Chastleton
National Grid Reference:
SP 24700 29304

Details

CHASTLETON SP2429-2529 11/34 Barn, cowhouse and outbuilding attached to N end of Grenemore

GV II

Barn, cowhouse and attached outbuilding. Barn dated 1761 with minor later alterations. Regularly coursed limestone rubble with alternating angle quoins continued to gable ends; concrete tile roofs (except for stone slates to half of rear plane of cowhouse roof) with coped verges. Barn has wide central entrance with opposing plank doors. Triangular air vents to either side on road side. Date "1761" inscribed on quoin to south-east angle. Cowhouse. Farmyard side has chamfered cambered doorway to left and narrow chamfered rectangular window to right; gabled eaves hatch with plank door directly above window. Wide plank door to left of attached outbuilding. Interior. Barn has collar and tie beam roof in 4 bays with double butt-purlins; similar roof in 2 bays to cowhouse, which has cobblestone floor and C19 cowstalls and trough. Outbuilding has collar and tie beam truss supported on one side by what appears to be part of a reused chamfered cruck blade. Although attached to Grenemore (q.v.) the farmbuildings actually form part of Home Farm (q.v. under Home Farmhouse). [2475]

Listing NGR: SP2470029304

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253923
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/13421/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].