WILLIAM SMITH MEMORIAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1053340

Date first listed: 15-May-1989

Statutory Address: WILLIAM SMITH MEMORIAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WILLIAM SMITH MEMORIAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053340 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 06:46:25.

Location

Statutory Address: WILLIAM SMITH MEMORIAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Churchill

National Grid Reference: SP2826424278

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCHILL SP2824-2924 16/48 William Smith memorial

GV II

Monument. 1891 for the Earl of Ducie in memory of William Smith. Large monolith on base of 2 large square steps, composed of local stone. Iron plate on east side of monolith reads "In memory of William Smith, the Father of British Geology. Born at Churchill March 23, 1769. Died at Northampton August 28, 1839. Erected by the Earl of Ducie 1891". (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p545) [2490]

Listing NGR: SP2826424278

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 253938

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 545

End of official listing