DOWNS HOLLOW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1053343

Date first listed: 15-May-1989

Statutory Address: DOWNS HOLLOW, A361

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOWNS HOLLOW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053343 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 06:09:42.

Location

Statutory Address: DOWNS HOLLOW, A361

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Churchill

National Grid Reference: SP 31503 24572

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCHILL A361 SP32SW (West side) 8/45 Downs Hollow

- II

Entrance lodge. Circa 1830, probably by 6.S. Repton for James Houghton Langston; extended late C20. Roughly coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; stone slate roofs with moulded coped verges. Double-depth plan with 2 gables to front Tudor Gothic style. 2 storeys. Two recessed chamfered 2-light mullion windows linked by continuous hoodmould incorporating recessed blank armorial shield to centre on first floor and cross-windows with dripstones to left and right on ground floor. Central gabled ashlar porch with corbel table and half-glazed door in outer shouldered arch. Small ogee-arched gable between 2 gables, right of which slightly projects. Valley stacks to left and right each have 3 detached diagonal shafts with moulded capping. 2-bay returns with recess for downpipe to centre have 2-light mullions linked by continuous hoodmoulds continued from front to first floor and segmental-headed mullioned and transomed bay windows in 3 lights to ground floor. All windows and door have leaded latticed lights. The house is the former lodge to The Dower House (q.v.). (formerly Sarsgrove Cottage) built for Langston by Repton in c.1825. Late C20 extension to rear is not of special architectural interest. [2487]

Listing NGR: SP3150324572

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 253947

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing