MANOR FARMHOUSE WITH ATTACHED WALL AND GATE PIER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1053377

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Mar-1989

Statutory Address: MANOR FARMHOUSE WITH ATTACHED WALL AND GATE PIER

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR FARMHOUSE WITH ATTACHED WALL AND GATE PIER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053377 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 06:21:46.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR FARMHOUSE WITH ATTACHED WALL AND GATE PIER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Kelmscott

National Grid Reference: SU 25063 99104

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KELMSCOTT SU2499-2599 10/75 Manor Farmhouse with attached wall and gate piers 12.9.55 (Formerly listed as Manor Farmhouse) GV II

Farmhouse. Circa 1700, incorporating earlier range to rear, with later additions and alterations. Roughly coursed limestone rubble alternating with 2 ashlar bands on each floor; alternating ashlar angle quoins; hipped stone slate roof. 2 storeys. 5 bays; all ovolo-moulded cross windows with continuous dripmould to ground floor. Central entrance; moulded stone architrave with pulvinated frieze and pediment; C19 half-glazed double doors. Prominent extruded external lateral stacks to left and right returns have paired and rebated ashlar shafts with dripstones and moulded capping, left with narrow transomed window on each floor to either side. Full-height range at right-angles to rear on left of main range may be contemporary with main range but has C19 segmental heads to C20 windows; integral end stack with dripstone and moulded capping. Short lower gabled range attached to rear of this range has lean-to supported on wooden posts to inner side. Single-storey range at right-angles to rear on right of main range (agricultural to rear) is possibly C17 and has axial ridge stack rebuilt in C20. Garden wall attached to this range is probably contemporary with or slightly later than main range. Roughly coursed limestone rubble with coping, ramped to front corners, except for short ashlar section to either side of piers to front. These are of ashlar and square in section with moulded capping and bases. Encloses garden of farmhouse. Interior. Right ground-floor room has early C18 raised and fielded panelling including to dado and door in back wall; dentilled wood cornice. Early C18 fluted pilasters to either side of C19 pilastered fireplace. Panelled window shutters. Left room has stone Adam-style fireplace surround. C20 two-storey addition between rear ranges is not of special architectural interest. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p667) [2370]

Listing NGR: SU2506399104

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 253827

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 667

End of official listing