THE FIRS AND ATTACHED BARN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053398
Date first listed:
30-Mar-1989
Statutory Address:
THE FIRS AND ATTACHED BARN, BAMPTON ROAD
Statutory Address:
THE FIRS AND ATTACHED BARN, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE FIRS AND ATTACHED BARN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053398.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 20:18:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE FIRS AND ATTACHED BARN, BAMPTON ROAD
Statutory Address:
THE FIRS AND ATTACHED BARN, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Clanfield
National Grid Reference:
SP2855501981

Details

CLANFIELD MAIN ROAD SP2801-2901 (East side) 8/30 The Firs and attached barn GV II

House and attached barn. Circa 1792 (datestone on barn) with C19 additions and alterations. House: Roughly coursed limestone rubble with alternating angle quoins; stone slate roof. 3-window front; mid-C19 horned 8-paned sashes with chamfered wood lintels. Central entrance; flush 6-panel door (upper panels now glazed) under light iron porch with C19 fleur-de-lys cresting said to have been placed there in C20. Integral end stacks with red brick shafts, rendered to right. C19 two-storey lean-to to rear on right links main range with originally separate single-storey gabled outbuilding (former wash-house). Barn, attached to left, has C20 garage door to right and infilled openings to left. Datestone "H/IS/1792" to left gable end. Interior of house has chamfered spine beams to ground-floor rooms with inglenook fireplace to left. Double-purlin collar and tie-beam roof in 5 bays. Double-purl in collar truss roof in 3 bays to barn, right truss also with tie-beam. [23224]

Listing NGR: SP2855501981

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253776
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 2005
Reference: IOE01/14757/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Tim Belcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].