This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORD MEMORIAL,C18 CHEST TOMB AND TWO C17 MONUMENTS APPROXIMATELY 2-5 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORD MEMORIAL,C18 CHEST TOMB AND TWO C17 MONUMENTS APPROXIMATELY 2-5 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List entry Number: 1053411

Location

FORD MEMORIAL,C18 CHEST TOMB AND TWO C17 MONUMENTS APPROXIMATELY 2-5 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kelmscott

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 253818

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KELMSCOTT SU2499-2599 10/66 Ford memorial, C18 chest tomb and two C17 monuments approx. 2-5n S of south transept of Church of St. George GV II

3 chest tombs and one ridge-backed tomb. Late C17 and late C18. Ford memorial (west of two C18 chest tombs): rectangular with stepped moulded plinth, capping and stepped top. Rococo carving to sides with floral motifs to corner pilasters on south and panelled corner pilasters to north. Inscription on south with carved head of winged cherub to top commemorates Thomas Ford (d.1770) and inscription on north to his wife, Mary (d.1775). Similar memorial to east with rococo carving to sides (including head of winged cherub to south), fluted corner pilasters on south, panelled corner pilasters on north and blank round-headed inscription panels to ends has partly illegible inscription to Thomas - (d.1791) on south side. Two C17 monuments to south, northern a low ridge-backed romb with overhanging verges to gable ends and southern a plain chest tomb with cavetto-moulded capping. Neither has inscription visible at time of resurvey (July 1987). The ridge-backed tomb may have provided the inspiration for Philip Webb's memorial to William Morris (q.v.) in the sane churchyard. [2361]

Listing NGR: SU2492099356

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 24920 99356

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053411 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 09:05:26.

End of official listing