GLENDALE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053462
Date first listed:
07-Jul-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Aug-1989
Statutory Address:
GLENDALE, 69, BRIZE NORTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GLENDALE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053462 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 05:29:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
GLENDALE, 69, BRIZE NORTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Minster Lovell
National Grid Reference:
SP3129410340

Details

MINSTER LOVELL BRIZE NORTON ROAD SP3110 (East side) Charterville 20/78 No.69 (Glendale) 07/07/77 (Formerly listed as No.69) - II

Chartist bungalow. Circa 1847. Roughcast on stone rubble with render quoins to corners; slate hipped roof; rendered stone end stacks and stacks to rear. Single-storey, 3-bay range. Centre bay projects forward. Sash door to centre. Single-light casements to left and right of centre. 2-light casements to left and right. Cross-gable to centre bay with quatrefoil ventilation stone. Interior not inspected. History: Charterville was the third of five estates established by the National Land Company. Company formed by Feargus O'Connor in 1845 to enable people from factory towns to live on small holdings and qualify for a vote. The Land Company ran into difficulties and was dissolved in July 1851. (Working-Class Housing in Oxfordshire: by Crispin Paine, et. al. in "Oxoniensia" vol 43, 1978, pp206-212; Charterville and the Chartist Land Company, by Kate Tiller in Oxoniensia" vol 50, 1985, pp251-266)

Listing NGR: SP3129410340

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253635
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Oxoniensia' in Oxoniensia, , Vol. 43, (1978), 206-212
'Oxoniensia' in Oxoniensia, , Vol. 50, (1985), 251-266

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].