BROOKS HOLDING

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1053467

Date first listed: 07-Jul-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Aug-1989

Statutory Address: BROOKS HOLDING, BUSHEY GROUNDS

Map

Ordnance survey map of BROOKS HOLDING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053467 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 08:29:57.

Location

Statutory Address: BROOKS HOLDING, BUSHEY GROUNDS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Minster Lovell

National Grid Reference: SP3170809843

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MINSTER LOVELL BUSHEY GROUNDS SP3109 (South side) Charterville 21/91 Brooks Holding 07/07/77 (Formerly listed as House adjoining The Paddocks to the E known as Brook's Holding) GV II

Chartist bungalow. Circa 1847. Rendered stone rubble; with render quoins to corners; slate hipped roof; rendered stone end stack to right. Single-storey, 3-bay range. Centre bay projects forward. 4-panel part-glazed door to centre. Single-light casements to left and right of centre. 2-light casements to left and right. Cross-gable to centre bay, with double-quatrefoil ventilation stone. Interior not inspected. History: Charterville was the third of five estates established by the National Land Company. Company formed by Feargus O'Connor in 1845 to enable people from factory towns to live on small holdings and qualify for a vote. The Land Company ran into difficulties and was dissolved in July 1851. (Working-Class Housing in Oxfordshire, by Crispin Paine et.al. in "Oxoniensia" vol 43, 1978, pp206-212; Charterville and the Chartist Land Company, by Kate Tiller in "Oxoniensia" vol 50, 1985, pp251-266)

Listing NGR: SP3170809843

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 253648

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Oxoniensia' in Oxoniensia, , Vol. 43, (1978), 206-12
'Oxoniensia' in Oxoniensia, , Vol. 50, (1985), 251-66

End of official listing