This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HOUSE APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES NORTH OF THE LAURELS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOUSE APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES NORTH OF THE LAURELS

List entry Number: 1053469

Location

HOUSE APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES NORTH OF THE LAURELS, LOWER CRESCENT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Minster Lovell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Jul-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Aug-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 253654

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MINSTER LOVELL LOWER CRESCENT SP3111 (West side) Charterville 18/95 House approx. 50m N of The 07/07/77 Laurels (Formerly listed as House adjoining The Laurels to the north occupied by Mr. E. Belcher) GV II

Chartist bungalow. Circa 1847. Stone coursed rubble with rendered quoins to corners; slate hipped roof; stone end stacks and central stack to rear. Single-storey, 3-bay range. Central bay projects forward. Sash door to centre with open gabled porch. Single-light casements to left and right of centre. 2-light casements to left and right. Cross-gable to centre bay. Interior not inspected. History: Charterville was the third of five estates established by the National Land Company. Company formed by Feargus O'Connor in 1845 to enable people from factory towns to live on small holdings and qualify for a vote. The Lane Company ran into difficulties and was dissolved in July 1851. (Working-Class Housing in Oxfordshire by Crispin Paine, et.al. in "Oxoniensia" Vol 43, 1978, pp206-212; Charterville and the Chartist Land Company, by Kate Tiller in "Oxoniensia" Vol 50, 1985, pp251-266)

Listing NGR: SP3109811195

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Oxoniensia' in Oxoniensia, , Vol. 43, (1978), 206-12
'Oxoniensia' in Oxoniensia, , Vol. 50, (1985), 251-66

National Grid Reference: SP 31098 11195

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053469 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 06:51:37.

End of official listing