CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1053501
Date first listed: 12-Sep-1955
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053501 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2019 at 05:46:04.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SP 25439 04734
8/216 Church of St. George 12/09/55
GV II* Church. C12, with C13 chancel and fenestration; late C15-C16 clerestory, south porch and raising of west tower. Restored and chancel much rebuilt C19; further restored 1962. Coursed rubble limestone with dressed quoins and stone slate roofs. West tower, nave, south porch and chancel. Tower is of 3 stages with moulded parapet and monopitch roof to south-east stair turret. Bell-chamber has late C15-C16 openings with 2 uncusped arched lights. West side of tower also has C13 arched window with Y-tracery, and arched single light to mid stage. Nave has coved stone eaves, and one bay of completely restored C13 windows with pairs of cusped lancets. Blocked north door with imposts and flat head; fine C12 south doorway with semi-circular roll-moulded arch, dogtooth ornament to imposts and frieze, and shafted jambs with cushion capitals. Tympanum has carved relief of Sagittarius shooting a monster. Gabled south porch with chamfered arch, much restored 1950. South wall of nave has carved kneelers at original eaves line, and 2 C15-C16 clerestory windows of 2 cusped lights with Tudor hoodmoulds, the left window taller than the right. Chancel is of slightly better dressed stone and has small off-set buttresses. 2 bays of C19-C20 windows in C13 style, with paired cusped lights as in nave. East wall has C19-C20 3-light traceried window, and memorial tablet of 1813. Interior has C12-C13 tower arch of 2 hollow chamfered orders, with imposts. Nave retains carved stone corbels of original roof but now has flat plaster ceiling of 1814 with ornamental head. East wall of nave has stone strings at impost level of chancel arch, the left reeded, the right with flat dogtooth ornament. C12 shafted jambs of chancel arch survive, with cushion capitals, but arch is C13, of 2 chamfered orders with inner order on restored foliage corbels. Chancel has C19-C20 roof, aumbry in north wall, and c14 cusped piscina with shelf in south wall. Fittings include: C12-Cl3 fluted circular font on base with cluster of 4 shafts, the lead bowl dated 1641, the wooden cover also C17; fine C17 pulpit with arched wooden panels and bosses, on base of 1956; chest dated 1652 HG IK KC; C19 carved stone reredos from church of St. Martin, Oxford; painted panel with royal arms, dated 1832, and C20 organ gallery at west end. In chancel is a painted wooden memorial panel to Richard Colchester of Westbury, 1643, with coat-of-arms, in wooden tabernacle with pediment, turned finials, and doors. Marble tablet in nave to William Stevens 1791 and wife Ann 1808. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, pp667-8; Church Guide)
Listing NGR: SP2543904734
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 253528
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Church of St George Kencot Church Guide
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 667-8
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing