This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MANOR FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1053508

Location

MANOR FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kencot

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 253543

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP2404-2504 KENCOT 8/231 Manor Farmhouse 12/09/55 II Farmhouse, now house. Rear wing probably C16; front wing added C17 to form T-plan, with C18 stair turret in rear angle; another wing to right, dated 1829 on gable end but possibly earlier in origin; early C19 bakehouse wing and other small C19 and C20 extensions to rear; refurbished early C20. Coursed rubble limestone, the right wing with slobbered pointing; stone slate roofs with coped gables to far left and right; ashlar chimneys with moulded cornices. C17 wing is of 2 storeys and attic and 3 bays, with large gabled full dormer to centre bay. This wing has hollow-chamfered stone mullion windows with Tudor hoodmoulds and old metal casements, 4-light to ground floor, 3-light to first floor and attic dormer. Right bay has C19 6-panelled top-lit door in early C19 ashlar porch with open pediment on Doric columns. Between left bays is a large stack with row of 4 square shafts. Wing to right is of 2 storeys and 2 bays and has matching fenestration. Only top left window is old and may be reused; other windows are early C20. Chimneys also altered early C20, with single shaft moved from centre to end, and 2 diagonal shafts added to rear lateral stack. Rear wing is smaller in scale, with gables to west and south, chimney with 2 diagonal shafts, and one old stone mullion window. Interior has stone fireplaces with 4-centred arches in C17 wing, those to ground floor refurbished early C20, and early-mid C18 plaster cornice with egg and dart ornament in left bay of same wing. Rear wing has winder stairs in line with stack, and remnants of truss, possibly once arch-braced. Front wings reroofed 1902.

Listing NGR: SP2530404338

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 25304 04338

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053508 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 02:16:17.

End of official listing