This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1053510

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lew

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-May-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 253550

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP30NW LEW 3/238 Church of the Holy Trinity

II Church. 1841-2, by William Wilkinson of Oxford. Coursed rubble limestone with ashlar dressings and stone slate roofs. Nave, south porch with bell tower, north vestry, and chancel, all in Early English style. Moulded plinth, coped gables, chamfered lancet windows. Nave has 3 bays of lancets and a triple lancet window in west wall. Lower chancel with one bay of lancets and similar triple east window. Triple windows have taller central lights and shafts. Set-back buttresses to south-east corner of nave. South porch has flanking buttresses, and pointed double-chamfered octagonal tower with broach stops, slit windows, nave is gabled and has buttresses and lancets. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, pp682-3; Reverend J.A. Giles: History of the parish and town of Bampton: 1848: p87)

Listing NGR: SP3240906423

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Giles, JA, History of the Parish and Town of Bampton, (1848), 87
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 682-3

National Grid Reference: SP 32409 06423

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053510 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 07:26:04.

End of official listing