LEW HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1053511

Date first listed: 04-May-1989

Statutory Address: LEW HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LEW HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053511 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 02:11:12.

Location

Statutory Address: LEW HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Lew

National Grid Reference: SP3258106385

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 30 NW LEW 3/241 Lew House

GV II House. C17 in origin, with later extensions, one wing dated 1AF 1786 on tablet; remodelled and further extended 1909 by John Belcher. Mostly of coursed rubble limestone, the 1786 wing with dressed stone gable and gable copings. Stone slate roofs, rubble stone chimneys with moulded cornices. Complex plan with original part in north corner, C18 and altered early C19 wings extending to south-west, and 1909 extensions to south-east. 2 storeys and attic. 1909 fenestration in late C17 style, with wood mullion windows, cross windows and leaded glazing. North-west entrance front has C17 part set back to left. This has 3 bays of cross windows, a heavy bracketed wooden eaves cornice of 1909, and a cruciform chimney. To right of this is a projecting gabled bay with 3-light windows and ashlar porch of 1909. Porch has double doors, large semi-circular arched hood on Doric columns, and heraldic crest in typanum. A narrow bay of 2-light casements separates this from the 1786 wing, also projecting and gabled, which has cross windows with flat stone arches and keyblocks. Irregular service wing to far right, part formerly out- buildings, has attached range of thatched kennels. Interior: C17 part has panelled room in late C17 style, possibly original in part but probably of 1909.

Listing NGR: SP3258106385

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 253552

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing