CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1053514

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053514 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 07:48:51.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Asthal

National Grid Reference: SP 28715 11390

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASTHALL SP2811 17/4 Church of Saint Nicholas 12/09/55 GV II*

Church. Romanesque origins. C13 north transept, north aisle, and chancel; C14 remodelling of north transept; restoration of c.1885 by Collier and Merrin. Random-coursed stone rubble; stone slate roof. 3 bay nave and north aisle, north transept, chancel and west tower. Stone porch to centre of north aisle, with 2-centred archway with hoodmould and C19 ribbed door. C19 six-panel double inner door to 2-centre arched doorway with hoodmould having carved end stops. 3-light stone mullion window with cusped lights to left of north aisle. Lancet to right of north aisle. 3-light Reticulated tracery window to north end of north transept. 3-light stone mullion window with ogee-headed lights to left of nave. 3-light stone mullion window with cusped lights to right of nave. Triple lancet to right of chancel. 2-light Plate tracery window to centre of chancel. 2-light stone mullion window with cusped lights to left of chancel. West end: 3-light Geometrical tracery window to end of North aisle. West tower of 3 stages: C19 ribbed door to 2-centred arched doorway with hoodmould. 3-light Rectilinear-tracery window to west side of second stage. 2-light Rectilinear-tracery louvred openings to each side of third stage. Battlemented parapet. Interior: chancel has barrel-vaulted panelled roof with painted panels. C19 wall paintings with a dado to sanctuary of fleur-de-lys and roundels; above dado are roundels depicting various Biblical figures. C19 encaustic tile floor to chancel, C19 altar rail. C19 two-centred chancel arch. 2-centred arch from chancel to north transept on half-columns. North transept has arch-braced collar truss roof, and tomb recess of c.1350 of reclining female figure having lion to feet with 2-centred cusped and crocketed gabled arch flanked by finials. C19 arch-braced collar truss roof to nave, with kingposts. Arcade to north aisle of 3 two-centred arches on round piers with square bases and capitals. 2-centred arch to tower with C19 wood screen. Arch-braced collar-truss roof to north aisle. 2-centred arch from north aisle to transept on columns with volute capitals. Romanesque round stone font to north aisle with C19 wood cover. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1979, pp424-425)

Listing NGR: SP2871511390

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 253560

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 424-5

End of official listing