FOLLY VIEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053515
Date first listed:
15-Jul-1981
Date of most recent amendment:
04-May-1989
Statutory Address:
FOLLY VIEW, MODEL COTTAGES, BAMPTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FOLLY VIEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053515 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 07:41:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
FOLLY VIEW, MODEL COTTAGES, BAMPTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Black Bourton
National Grid Reference:
SP2849603984

Details

SP20SE CARTERTON AND BLACK BOURTON BAMPTON ROAD (North side) Black Bourton 5/152 No. 7 (Folly View), Model 15/07/81 Cottages (Formerly listed as No.7, Model Cottages)

GV II Former lodgings house for 8 estate workers, with superintendent's residence, later converted to 2 cottages and then to single house. Circa 1860, by E.G. Bruton, for Christ Church College, Oxford. Squared and coursed limestone, rock-faced, with slate roofs and stone chimneys. 2-plan building in rustic Gothick style with steeply pitched roofs and pointed arches over narrow lights. 2 storeys. Front to road has 2 bays, the left bay gabled. This bay has 3-light ground floor window with cushion capitals on shafts between lights, 2-light first floor window with stop-chamfered stone mullion, and arched vent slit in gable. Right bay has one single light, an arched slit window, an arched doorway with C20 board door, and a small round window or vent just below the eaves. Left side has arched ground floor windows and catslide semi-dormers to front bays, and projection with M roof, similar windows and arched door beyond. Part of a group of buildings for housing estate workers. (Mary Lupton: History of the Parish of Black Bourton, 1903)

Listing NGR: SP2849603984

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253462
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lupton, M, History of the Parish of Black Burton, (1903)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09533/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Malcolm Osman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].