GROUP OF 4 CHEST TOMBS 6-15 METRES TO SOUTH OF SOUTH PORCH OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053518
Date first listed:
04-May-1989
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 4 CHEST TOMBS 6-15 METRES TO SOUTH OF SOUTH PORCH OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, BURFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 4 CHEST TOMBS 6-15 METRES TO SOUTH OF SOUTH PORCH OF CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053518 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 17:37:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 4 CHEST TOMBS 6-15 METRES TO SOUTH OF SOUTH PORCH OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, BURFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Black Bourton
National Grid Reference:
SP 28657 04211

Details

SP2804-2904 CARTERTON AND BLACK BOURTON BURFORD ROAD (West side) Black Bourton 10/155 Group of 4 chest tombs 6-15m to S of S porch of Church of St. Mary

GV II Group of 4 chest tombs, all of limestone: 1) to Thomas Clark, 1804. Moulded base, flat cornice lid, recessed corners with square pilasters carrying carved reliefs of ornamental drapes. Inscription tablets are oval and have shallow relief carvings of cherub heads and foliage in spandrels. 2) to John Cox, 1827. Moulded base, flat cornice lid, recessed corners with square balusters, oval panels with worn inscriptions. 3) Late C17-C18 chest with illegible inscriptions, plain slab sides, and flat cornice lid with cyma recta moulding. 4) C18-early C19 chest with illegible inscriptions and canted west end. Plain slab sides, the north side incorporating moulded panel. Flat lid with chamfered lower edge.

Listing NGR: SP2865704211

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253467
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09533/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Malcolm Osman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].