Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1053519

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 04-May-1989

Statutory Address: THE OLD INN, BURFORD ROAD


Ordnance survey map of THE OLD INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053519 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Mar-2019 at 19:29:11.


Statutory Address: THE OLD INN, BURFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Black Bourton

National Grid Reference: SP 28708 04217


SP2804-2904 CARTERTON AND BLACK BOURTON BURFORD ROAD (West side) Black Bourton 10/157 The Old Inn 12/09/55 (Formerly listed as Cottage opposite and to the West of Mill Farm Cottage)

GV II Former inn, now house. Originally a C17 single range, with rear outshots added and front raised C18-early C19. Outshots altered to parallel rear range c.1950. Incorporates carved stone fragments, some from Bourton Place, former manor house of the Hungerford family, demolished c.1800. Coursed rubble limestone, 2-span roof of stone slates, rebuilt rubble stone chimneys to right and between right bays. 2 storeys, 3 bays. 3-light wooden casements with horizontal glazing bars, renewed C20, all with wooden lintels. Ground floor lintels are old, upper lintels renewed. Ground floor of right bay has 3-light window with hollow-chamfered stone mullions and Tudor hoodmould, possibly not original to house. C20 board door with C20 wooden lintel between right bays. Over door is a C18 carved stone tablet carved with military trophy, almost certainly from Bourton Place. Another small square tablet below eaves between left bays carries simple motifs from the Hungerford arms. Below eaves to centre is a tablet dated ITM 1655, which may be original to house, but if so was re-set when front raised. Interior has C17 stop-chamfered spine beam in left bay, winder stair in right bay on axis with stack, and altered trusses with cranked principals.

Listing NGR: SP2871004218


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 253469

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing