This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BROUGHTON HALL THE COURT HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BROUGHTON HALL THE COURT HOUSE

List entry Number: 1053524

Location

BROUGHTON HALL
THE COURT HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Filkins and Broughton Poggs

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 04-May-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 253481

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP2203-2303 FILKINS AND BROUGHTON POGGS BROUGHTON POGGS

11/170 Broughton Hall and The Court 12/09/55 House (Formerly listed as Broughton Hall)

GV II Former manor house, now 2 dwellings. Central core is said to be Cl6 in origin, altered C17-early C18; south end extended and remodelled c.1800; C20 alterations and extensions to west side and north end. Coursed rubble limestone, the south wing roughcast. Stone slate and Welsh slate roofs. South front, of c.1800, is of 2 storeys and 7 bays, with ashlar plinth and coped parapet over moulded string. 3-pane sashes, the upper windows square and set in moulded architrave surrounds, possibly of Coade stone. Surround to right window is missing. Upper window in third bay has eared surround, and half-glazed door below with large overlight to match flanking sashes. Hipped roof. Cellar below left bays. East front has roughcast block to left, of 3 storeys and 3 bays, with ramped parapet. This block has large 2-light windows with chamfered stone mullions and C19-C20 sashes. C19-C20 canted bay window to ground floor right; early C19 6-panelled door to left with flanking single lights, reeded surround, and segmental arch over side ornamental fanlight. C20 Doric porch with flat cornice roof. To right of this block is older wing of 2 storeys, with restored mullion windows and C20 casements. C20 3-storey tower block at right end, also with ramped parapet. Interior: older wing has one mid C18 stone fireplace surround with keyblock and moulded cornice, and one fireplace with re-used bolection surround. This wing also has part of a chamfered timber wall post, mostly encased in later walling. Drawing room has good plaster panelling and moulded modillion cornice with rosettes. Interior otherwise much altered c20.

Listing NGR: SP2340303764

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 23403 03764

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053524 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2017 at 07:59:50.

End of official listing