COLLEGE FARM HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1053537

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1955

Statutory Address: COLLEGE FARM HOUSE, MILL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of COLLEGE FARM HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053537 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 06:30:12.

Location

Statutory Address: COLLEGE FARM HOUSE, MILL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Bampton

National Grid Reference: SP3112902878

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP3002-3102 BAMPTON MILL STREET South side) 14/106 College Farm House 12/09/55

GV II House, part now used as flat and showroom. Circa 1700, incorporating older building and re-using older fragments. Coursed limestone rubble with stone slate roofs, hipped over main block. Chimneys have square ashlar shafts linked by cornice tops. U-plan. 2 storeys and attic. Main range along north side is of 3 bays with irregular C19 2- and 3-light barred wooden casements with wooden lintels. Right bay has single lights flanking ground floor window, the right blocked, the left with leaded glazing and old wooden frame. Above is a C17/early C18 stone mullion window with ovolo mouldings, leaded glazing and Tudor hoodmould. Similar blocked 3-light window in right return. 2 hipped roof dormer with paired leaded casements. C19 flush-panelled top-lit door to right of centre; blocked doorway with casement to left of centre. Left end of north wing, and rear of left bay have C17 4-light windows, possibly re-used, the ground floor with hollow-chamfered stone mullions and Tudor hoodmoulds, the first floor with ovolo-moulded wood mullions and lintels. Hipped stair to rear of main stack retains old 2-light window at attic level, but other rear windows are altered. West wing has C17 3-light leaded window with ovolo-moulded wooden mullions and lintel to first floor of east side, but otherwise has altered openings, the south bay formerly with loft over cart entry. East wing, attached to remainder only by north-west corner, is of 2 bays and retains some old leaded windows with ovolo-moulded wooden mullions and lintels. Some windows renewed in same style. C20 showroom window and door in east side. Interior: stop-chamfered main ceiling beams; large but slightly altered fireplaces, one with chamfered stone jambs; winder stair from first floor to attic. Traces of an old fire hearth have been found in north-west bay.

Listing NGR: SP3112902878

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 253416

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing