This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BROADWELL MILL, MILL HOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDING

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BROADWELL MILL, MILL HOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDING

List entry Number: 1053543

Location

BROADWELL MILL, MILL HOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDING, CALCROFT LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Broadwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-May-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 253430

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP20SE BROADWELL CALCROFT LANE (South side) 5/120 Broadwell Mill, Mill House and attached outbuilding II Watermill and mill house, with attached outbuilding. Probably C18 in origin, altered and refurbished 1827 as dated on tablet in left gable end. Coursed rubble limestone with dressed quoins, the mill and mill house with stone slate roofs, the outbuilding with Welsh slates. Mill, to left, has single bay of 2 storeys and a loft. Ground floor has small cog-pit window to left, 2-light barred wooden casement to right, and off-centre stable-type door with dressed stone jambs, flat brick arch and keystone. First floor has 2-light window to left, and another stable-type door to left of centre. Most openings have wooden lintels. X and S metal tie bars. Left gable end has overshot mill-wheel with metal cups, and date tablet with initials HS. Mill machinery has been left intact since last worked c.1950, with early C19 cog-wheels, shafts, 2 mill stones, shoots and loft bins. Mill house is of 2 storeys and attic and 4 bays, with traces of central building break. 3-pane sashes, 4 to first floor, 2 to ground floor. Ground floor windows and those to first fioor left have flush plain architrave surrounds; upper right windows have bonded stone jambs. Gabled roof dormer to left with 2-light barred wooden casement. Flush-panelled door with top lights is recessed to centre. To left and centre are brick chimneys, the latter rebuilt C20. Outbuilding to right is much altered and has 2 C20 casements, blocked doorway cart entry and door, all openings with wooden lintels.

Listing NGR: SP2567102504

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 25671 02504

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053543 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 10:37:16.

End of official listing