BROADWELL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053544
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1955
Statutory Address:
BROADWELL HOUSE, VILLAGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BROADWELL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053544.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 07:10:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
BROADWELL HOUSE, VILLAGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Broadwell
National Grid Reference:
SP 25293 04069

Details

SP2404-2504 BROADWELL VILLAGE STREET (East side) 9/137 Broadwell House 12/09/55

II House. South wing is possibly C17 in origin, west wing C18/early C19, all very much restored and extended c.1910 and later C20. Coursed rubble limestone with dressed quoins and ashlar front to south; stone slate roofs with coped gables; ashlar and rubble chimneys. Older parts form L-plan. 2 storeys and attic. C18/early C19 front to west has 3 bays of 4-pane sashes to first floor in dressed stone surrounds with flat stone lintels and keyblocks. Tripartite sash in similar surround to ground floor left; 2 C20 leaded casements to ground floor right. Left bays have C20 hipped roof dormers with 2-light leaded casements. Central C20 double doors in C20 chamfered stone surround with keyblock and wide stone pediment hood on brackets. Gabled extension of c.1910 projects to right. Later C20 extensions to rear of C18 wing. South front has stone mullion and transom windows with Tudor hoodmoulds, either totally restored or newly installed c.1910. Ground floor has 3-light windows flanking central door with leaded glazing; first floor has 3 2-light windows; attic has C20 skylights. Circa 1910 gabled bay to left with canted bay window.

Listing NGR: SP2529304069

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253432
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/15876/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Cotterill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].