GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS, 2 TO ARNATT FAMILY, IN CHURCHYARD OF ST MARY'S, CIRCA 15 METRES TO EAST OF NORTH VESTRY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053561
Date first listed:
04-May-1989
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS, 2 TO ARNATT FAMILY, IN CHURCHYARD OF ST MARY'S, CIRCA 15 METRES TO EAST OF NORTH VESTRY, CHURCH CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS, 2 TO ARNATT FAMILY, IN CHURCHYARD OF ST MARY'S, CIRCA 15 METRES TO EAST OF NORTH VESTRY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053561 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 22:38:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS, 2 TO ARNATT FAMILY, IN CHURCHYARD OF ST MARY'S, CIRCA 15 METRES TO EAST OF NORTH VESTRY, CHURCH CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Bampton
National Grid Reference:
SP 31295 03341

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/09/2011

SP3003-3103 13/60

BAMPTON CHURCH CLOSE (South-west side) Group of 3 chest tombs, 2 to Arnatt family, in churchyard of St. Mary's, c.l5m to E of N vestry

GV II

Group of 3 chest tombs, comprising: a) matching pair of tombs to Arnatt family of Lew, both of limestone, with moulded bases and cornice lids, shallow tops, simple pilasters, and moulded end panels. One has inscriptions to Jonathan Arnatt 1844 and Joseph Arnatt 1834. The other has inscriptions to Jonathan Arnatt 1799 and Elizabeth Arnatt 1779, with carved floral trails and lead lettering. Tombs are surrounded by low stone base of former enclosure, the railings now missing. b) a late C18 tomb with illegible inscriptions. Of limestone ashlar with moulded cornice lid. North side has winged cherub head over inscription panel, and flanking panels with carved foliage scrolls. Later south panel with flanking guilloche ornament.

Listing NGR: SP3129503341

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253370
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/01450/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].