GRAYSHOTT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053573
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1955
Statutory Address:
GRAYSHOTT HOUSE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRAYSHOTT HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053573 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jun-2019 at 06:38:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
GRAYSHOTT HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Bampton
National Grid Reference:
SP3159003197

Details

SP3003-3103 BAMPTON HIGH STREET (South side) 13/90 Grayshott House 12/09/55

GV II House. Circa 1700, with early C18 bay to left, and various C18/C20 extensions. Coursed rubble limestone with dressed quoins; stone slate roof, hipped to right: 2 external stone chimney stacks to rear. 2 storeys and attic, 5 original bays. Wooden cross casements, renewed C20, with flat stone arches, the ground floor arches part recessed with raised end and key blocks. Ground floor right windows altered C20, with raised sills and C20 2-light wooden casements. Upper right window blocked. Early C18 bay to left has matching fenestration, the upper window also blocked. Large C20 gabled stone porch to original centre, masking wide half-glazed door in architrave frame. Above porch is a Liverpool and London Globe fire insurance plaque. Blocked doorway with wooden lintel to right of C18 bay. At left end is a lower bay with end chimney and old 4-light leaded casement. Rear has attic dormers, over-hanging eaves to early C18 bay, hipped C18-early C19 wing, and single-storey C20 extensions. Interior is altered but retains high ceilings with heavy stop-chamfered spine beams and joists in left bays, possibly re-set. Traces of very large chimney stack at left end of main block. Altered fireplaces and stairs.

Listing NGR: SP3159003197

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253399
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].