THE OLD RECTORY, WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS TO SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1053580

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 04-May-1989

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS TO SOUTH, LOWER END

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY, WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS TO SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053580 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 22:36:14.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS TO SOUTH, LOWER END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Alvescot

National Grid Reference: SP 27414 04228

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP2604-2704 ALVESCOT LOWER END (North-east side) 9/5 The Old Rectory, with attached 12/09/55 garden walls and piers to S (Formerly listed as Rectory)

GV II Forner rectory, now house, with garden walls. House is said to date back to 1609 but much altered and rebuilt late C18 and early C19. Limestone ashlar front to south, remainder coursed rubble. C20 concrete tile roof with stone gable copings. Ashlar chimney to centre, external chimney to right with shaft rebuilt in brick C20. L-plan. 2 storeys and attic, 5 irregular bays. Moulded plinth. First floor has boxed 3-pane sashes; ground floor has 2 large tripartite sashes, that to right of c.1900, off-centre double half-glazed doors, and C20 door with rectangular fanlight to left. Attic casement in left gable. Rear has 3 gabled bays with sashes to first floor and C20 round windows flanking C20 arched doorway. C20 wooden Doric porch. Later wing projects to right with flat-roofed extension. Attched to either side of south front are garden walls of early C19 date, with long returns of c.25m to south. Left wall is completely of brick; right wall is brick-faced to garden but backed with coursed rubble limestone. Both have brick laid in English garden wall bond with courses of blue headers and red stretchers, and have flat stone coping. End piers are of ashlar with tented caps. Walls to either side of house are pierced by arched gateways.

Listing NGR: SP2741404228

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 253315

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing