THE ROMANY INN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053592
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
04-May-1985
Statutory Address:
THE ROMANY INN, BRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ROMANY INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053592 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 05:49:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE ROMANY INN, BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Bampton
National Grid Reference:
SP3145803135

Details

SP3003-3103 BAMPTON BRIDGE STREET (South-east side) 13/33 The Romany Inn 12/09/55 (Formerly listed as Premises adjoining Ye Talbot Inn to the West, under Market Place (south side)) GV II Former house and shop, now small hotel. Early C19. Limestone ashlar front with coursed rubble side and rear walls. Hipped Welsh slate roof, ashlar chimneys to centre and right, white brick chimney to left. Square plan. 3 storeys, 3 bays. Projecting plinth and band courses. Upper storeys have 3-pane sash windows in recessed surrounds, the central first floor bay with French doors to balcony. Ground floor has canted bay windows with sashes to outer bays, the left of ashlar with recessed window surrounds and parapet, the right much reconstructed C20 and mostly of wood. To centre is a large former shop window with C20 glazing bars and flanking doorways in recessed surrounds. Left doorway has flush panelled door and blind fanlight; narrower doorway to right is blocked. Across front of whole of centre bay is a porch with stone Doric columns and entablature blocks, wooden cornice, and balcony above with early C19 cast iron railings. (Illustrated in Country Life, July 19th, 1946, p119)

Listing NGR: SP3145803135

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253339
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 19 July, (1946), 119

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/01450/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].