SJ 70 SE
Hatton Grange and garden wall to south west with gate and gatepiers.
House. 1764-1768, by Thomas Farnells Pritchard, with 1896 and circa 1900 alterations and additions. Red brick with ashlar dressings, and hipped slate roof. Central three storey block with quadrant linking walls to set back one storey pavilions.
South west front: plinth, first floor string course, cornice, blocking course, triangular pediment over central three slightly projecting bays with central oval plaque and carved festoons of fruit and flowers in tympanum; ridge stacks off-centre to left and right, and two stacks to rear. 2:3:2 bays, centre three narrower; glazing bar sashes with gauged heads, these in centre three bays with lugged architraves and bracketed cills; central first floor arched window with triple keyed architrave. Circa 1896 two storey canted bay windows in outer bays with balustraded parapets. Central half glazed door with semi-circular fanlight and doorcase with architrave consisting of unfluted Doric half columns, triglyph frieze, and open triangular pediment.
North west entrance front: three bays, central windows with lugged architraves, and cornice on first floor. Circa 1900 ground floor addition; five unequal bays with plinth, frieze, cornice and blocking course. Rusticated end pilasters, and centre three bays with Tuscan pilasters and full entablature. Outer bays with keyed stone lintels. Central pair of half glazed doors with projecting porch consisting of Tuscan columns, entablature, and open triangular pediment with shield and motto in tympanum: "Deo duce comite industria magnanimiter crucem sustine".
South east front: four bays, circa 1900 ground floor square bay to left with rusticated end pilasters, frieze, cornice and balustraded parapet, three light glazing bar sash to front with keyed stone lintel.
Pavilions: arcaded quadrant linking wall to north west with stone impost band and coping. Two storey pavilion with Tuscan serliana and open triangular pedimented gable end above with circular window in tympanum. Linking block to circa 1900 matching south east pavilion, with the addition of a serliana to south east also.
Quadrant garden wall projecting approximately 20 metres from house to south west; red brick with stone coping; two gate piers at north west end with globe finials, and wrought iron gate between with exuberant overthrow.
Interior: largely 1764-1768 with rich plasterwork, and some circa 1900 alterations. Morning Room (former entrance hall): deep cornice with paterae on soffit; doorcases with lugged architraves, pulvinated friezes, and cornices; chimneypiece with lugged architrave frieze with foliage decoration, and cornice.
Drawing Room: medillion cornice with paterae; doors with lugged architraves; chimneypiece with tapered pilasters, and frieze with foliage decoration and central ram's head.
Dining Room: rich frieze; doorcases with lugged architraves and cornices; plaster panels, large plaster picture panel with lugged architrave and swan-necked pediment with foliage decoration; chimneypiece with terms, frieze with foliage decoration and central rustic scene, and scrolled acanthus brackets supporting rich cornice; fireplace overmantel with plaster panel containing festoons, drops, and central music 'trophy' consisting of various musical instruments; depressed-arched sideboard recess containing plaster harvest 'trophy' including agricultural implements and produce.
Library: dentil cornice; chimneypiece with frieze consisting of foliage decoration and central urns.
Staircase hall: circa 1900 three-flight rectangular well staircase with twisted balusters, square newels, and Ionic pilasters to first floor landing. Chinoiserie and Gothic fireplaces in former first floor middle chamber and dressing room.
Landscaped grounds including natural ravine with chain of former monastic fishponds, and circa 1960 octagonal classical temple by Clough Williams Ellis (not listed).
Listing NGR: SJ7646004292