COSFORD BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053663
Date first listed:
29-Aug-1984
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
COSFORD BRIDGE, HOLYHEAD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of COSFORD BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053663 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 23:59:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
COSFORD BRIDGE, HOLYHEAD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Albrighton
District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shifnal
National Grid Reference:
SJ7804604589

Details

ALBRIGHTON C.P. SJ 70 SE 5/28

HOLYHEAD ROAD

Cosford Bridge

G.V.

II

Bridge over River Worfe. Circa 1780. Traditionally attributed to Telford. Sandstone ashlar. Single span segmental arch with raised keystone, flat string course, plain parapet, quadrant plan. The bridge is said to have replaced an earlier packhorse bridge, which was not demolished until c.1870; it appears to have been widened on the south (downstream) side, possibly following the erection of the nearby pumping station (Cosford Supply Works q.v.). Cosford Bridge is now little used following the diversion of the Holyhead Road to the south in the late 1960s.

The asset was previously listed twice also at List entry 1053663. That entry was removed from the List on 28 February 2017.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28 February 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
255137
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/12501/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Cousens. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].