This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CLASSICAL TEMPLE AT NGR S0 7713 9934

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLASSICAL TEMPLE AT NGR S0 7713 9934

List entry Number: 1053667

Location

CLASSICAL TEMPLE AT NGR S0 7713 9934, BADGER DINGLE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Badger

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255150

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 79 NE BADGER C.P. BADGER DINGLE

7/61 Classical Temple at N.G.R. SO 7713 9934 -

- II

Classical temple/summerhouse. Probably late C18. Possibly attributable to James Wyatt. Brick (English Garden Wall and random bond), stuccoed with stone dressings. Square plan with apses running east to west; single storey with basement below external ground level; 2 vaulted cellars with round arched openings beneath the apse on the west side and a single vaulted cellar to the east of the entrance on the south side. 2 empty statue niches flank the western apse; moulded eaves cornice. The temple is now virtually ruinous; the roof has fallen in and the 4 pillars of the former colonnade to the western apse have collapsed and lie in fragments to the front. The temple is marked as The Bird House on an 1837 map of the Badger Hall estate. Badger Hall (now demolished) was designed by Wyatt between 1779 and 1783. H.M. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of English Architects, 1660 - 1840.

Listing NGR: SO7713099340

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,

National Grid Reference: SO 77130 99340

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053667 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 09:47:59.

End of official listing