CHURCH OF ST CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1053675

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CHAD, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CHAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053675 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 19:02:28.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CHAD, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Boningale

National Grid Reference: SJ 81167 02601

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 80 SW BONINGALE C.P. CHURCH LANE (north side) 6/100

- Church of St. Chad

G.V. II*

Parish Church. C12 nave and chancel, C16 vestry, south aisle 1861, C20 timber belfry to spirelet, C20 west porch. Coursed sandstone rubble walls, ashlar to aisle, plain tiled roofs, oak shingles to belfry. Nave has 2 paired cusped lancet windows (1864) and one small narrow round headed window on North side and a single cusped C19 lancet in West wall; South aisle also has cusped lancets, 2 pairs on South wall and single lights in East and West walls. Chancel; East window C14, 2 lights with cusped quatrefoil above, small narrow round headed window on North side partially cut and blocked by vestry, windows on South are flat headed, that to East with 2 trefoiled lights and that to West single lit under a trefoiled head; in between is a narrow round headed door, blocked internally; the chamfered string course on the North wall incorporates the small blocked window and is also preserved inside the vestry; inscription on the East wall commemorates the raising of the cross on the East gable to mark Queen Victoria's Jubilee in 1887. Vestry is flat roofed with 2 square headed late Perpendicular windows. Broached spirelet with copper weathercock over timber belfry at West end of nave, West porch timber on sandstone walls with overhanging tiled roof, single chamfered West door with pointed hoodmould, 1861. Interior. South aisle aracade of 2 1/2 bays, first column from East with crocket capital and foliated spurs; late C15/early C16 flat pitched panelled roofs with bosses to nave and chancel, 2 winged angels to wall plate in nave, floor inserted for ringing chamber at West end; chancel arch probably of 1861 but using some earlier masonry. Late C16/early C17 Communion table, C17 pulpit, C19 font, benches in South aisle incorporate C17 panelling; 2 lavishly ornamented free standing mid C19 brass candelabra, originally belonging to the church of Choisy-le-Roi, France, close by the chancel arch. In the medieval period Boningale was a dependent chapelry to Stockton. Cranage, Vol.I, p.4.

Listing NGR: SJ8116702601

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 255172

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 4

End of official listing