- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- LILLESHALL HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053678 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 15:15:22.
- Statutory Address:
- LILLESHALL HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 74859 14462
SEVENTH LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHICECTURAL OR HISTORIC
INTEREST COMPILED UNDER SECTION 54 OF THE TOWN AND COUNTRY PLANNING
SHROPSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL BRIDGENORTH D
SJ 71 SW SHERIFFHALES C.P. -
3/3 Lilleshall Hall
GV II *
House, now National Sports Centre. 1829, by Sir Jeffry Wyatville in a Tudor Gothic style. Limestone and sandstone ashlar with slate roofs. Square plan with service wing projecting to East. Basement and 2½ storeys with one and 2 storey service wing. Moulded plinth, parapet string, downpipes and rainwater heads with cast dogs, coped parapet with corner pinnacles and gable finials, and 12 stacks with grouped octagonal shafts. Mullioned and transomed windows with returned hoodmoulds. Entrance front: 3 window front; 2 large end gables with stacks at apexes. Central projecting 3½ storey porch tower with octagonal corner buttresses up to first floor, string courses, and parapeted gables on each face with corner pinnacles and finials. Small attic casements, second floor 2-light windows , that to North with carved coat of arms beneath, first stage cross windows, and porte-cochere beneath with 4-centred arches in 3 faces, that to North with 2 uncarved shields above; 2 bay ribbed vault inside and 4-centred arched doorway with 2 half glazed doors, sidelights and overlight. Service wing to left with 9 multi-shafted stacks; 2 storey block to right with 5 window front, small gable to right and large central tower with clocks to front and rear, and multi-shafted stacks at each corner; one storey block projecting to left with gabled semi-dormer to right; walled service court to far left with 2 gate piers, West front: asymetrical 4 window front, with 3 small gabled semi dormers to left, projecting gabled full-height square bay to right, and 2 ground floor square bays to left. Small square gazebo to left with semi-circular moulded arched seat recesses to West and South, coped parapet, corner obelisks, and short connecting wall with 4-centred archway. South fronts symetrical 4 window front with 2 small central gabled semi-dormers, 2 larger outer gables, and 2 ground floor canted bays to left and right with uncarved shields on parapets. Interior: panelled entrance hall with 2 shell niches. Large central double-height panelled staircase hall with arched first floor Gothic glazed windows, and hammer beams supporting large rectangular top light with round-arched glazing. 3-flight square well staircase with landing, open string, turned balusters with tulip decoration, and round bottom newel with globe finial. Series of ground floor rooms with Tudor Gothic decoration including panelling, rich-moulded cornices, panelled plaster ceilings, and fireplaces with carved overmantels. The house was built for George Grenville, first Duke of Sutherland, who died in 1833. Formal gardens to West and landscaped grounds. B.O.E., Shropshire, p.166j Burkes and Savills Guide to country Houses Vo1 II, Peter Reid, 1980; The Country Seats of Shrovshire. Ed. Francis Leach, Eddowea, 1891.
Listing NGR: SJ7485914462
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Leach, F, The County Seats of Shropshire, (1891)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 166
Reid, P, 'Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses' in Herefordshire Shropshire Warwickshire Worcestershire, (1980)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing