Gatehouse adjoining Lilleshall Hall to north east, plus two lions to east front and two eagles to west

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1053679

Date first listed: 29-Aug-1984

Statutory Address: Gatehouse adjoining Lilleshall Hall to north east, plus two lions to east front and two eagles to west, Lilleshall Hall

Map

Ordnance survey map of Gatehouse adjoining Lilleshall Hall to north east, plus two lions to east front and two eagles to west
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053679 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 13:33:09.

Location

Statutory Address: Gatehouse adjoining Lilleshall Hall to north east, plus two lions to east front and two eagles to west, Lilleshall Hall

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Sheriffhales

National Grid Reference: SJ 74928 14508

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 71 SW 3/2

SHERIFFHALES CP Gatehouse adjoining Lilleshall Hall to north east, plus two lions to east front and two eagles to west.

GV II Gatehouse circa 1829-1832, by Sir Jeffry Wyatville in a Tudor Gothic style. Sandstone ashlar with slate roofs. Two storey and attic with one and half storey wings.

Entrance front, plinth, corner gargoyles, coped parapet with gables to front and back, parapeted gable ends, end stacks, and central wooden arched cupola with ogee lead top and weathervane. Small attic lancet in gable; central first floor canted oriel window with carved coat of arms above and uncarved tablet below; large central chamfered round entrance arch with flanking lancets, stone globes protecting corner, and two panelled wooden gates with iron cresting. Rear similar. Interior of arch with large round arched recess to south and four centred arched panelled doors to north and south.

Wings: plinth, parapeted gable ends and three light gabled dormer. Two two-light ground floor windows with returned hoodmoulds. Two large carved stone lions flanking arch to east and two cast iron eagles with outstretched wings flanking arch to west.

Listing NGR: SJ7492814508

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 255177

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 166
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,

End of official listing