CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1054051

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054051 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 20:56:13.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale (District Authority)

Parish: Leaveland

National Grid Reference: TR 00488 54850

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 05 SW SHELDWICH LEAVELAND

3/93 Church of St Lawrence 24.1.67 II*

Parish church. C13, consecrated 1222. Restored C18, and 1882 and vestry added. Flint, with red and blue brick on north nave aisle. Plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave and north aisle, north-west vestry, west tower and south porch. West end rebuilt C19 with south porch and tiled west tower belfry. Chancel with lancets to south,north and east, and 2 light C14 windows on south. North aisle with C15 fenestration, reset in C18 brick each wall. Interior: 2 bay north arcade, chamfered on moulded abaci and large square pier. Wide north aisle. Roof in nave of 3 crown posts, with timbered gable to chancel, with roof of 3 small crown posts. Fittings: piscina in chancel with shelf, hollow chamfered surround and moulded stops; drip mould over. Smaller and identical piscina in north aisle. Monument: Katherine Rooper, d.1606. Wall monument in chancel. Alabaster kneeling woman at prayer desk, behind her her son Francis Herdson, with architectural surround, ribboned side pieces on scrolled and floriated base, with coffered cornice and achievement over. Glass: in eastern lancets, 1888 by Kempe. (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983, 369; also Igglesden, 21, p.29).

Listing NGR: TR0162256679

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 176891

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Igglesden, C, Saunter through Kent with pen and pencil, (1906), 29
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 369

End of official listing