This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PANSHANGER ORANGERY AND CONSERVATORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PANSHANGER ORANGERY AND CONSERVATORY

List entry Number: 1054057

Location

PANSHANGER ORANGERY AND CONSERVATORY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hertingfordbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jun-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 356173

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HERTINGFORDBURY PANSHANGER TL 21 SE 5/67 Panshanger Orangery 20.10.52 and Conservatory (formerly listed as Panshanger) - II

Former orangery to Panshanger House (demolished). c.1856. For the 7th Earl Cowper. White brick with terracotta dressings. Classical style. 11 bays, 4:3:4 in 3 distinct sections. Central 3 bays project slightly. Original sashed openings empty with a few surviving glazing bars, double gauged brick flat arched headed surrounds. Brick pilasters to each bay. Terracotta panel over centre bays with rich festoon and drop relief. Terracotta cornice to pierced parapet with double row of terracotta medallions, cornice. Outer bays similar without festooned panels, lower cornice to parapet. Similar 3 bay returns with parapet continued also on returns of central section. To rear centre bays as to front, outer bays are blind with small entrances in penultimate bays. Some moulded rafters to hipped roof. Interior is divided into 3 sections, iron braces to roof. Extending to rear right a low brick wall returns to form rear of a smaller 5 bay former conservatory. Central bay projects with a blind panel below terracotta cornice, pilasters, 2 bay returns. To rear left 3 bay wall with buttresses, coping. Formal gardens once lay immediately S of Orangery leading on to landscaped grounds and Mimram valley laid out by H. Repton, 1799-1801. (Country Life 11 and 18/1/1936).

Listing NGR: TL2891513231

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 18 January, (1936)
'Country Life' in 11 January, (1936)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,

National Grid Reference: TL 28915 13231

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054057 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2017 at 06:37:05.

End of official listing