RIVERSIDE COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1054065

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1986

Statutory Address: RIVERSIDE COTTAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RIVERSIDE COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054065 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 15:49:34.

Location

Statutory Address: RIVERSIDE COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Hertingfordbury

National Grid Reference: TL 29378 12512

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HERTINGFORDBURY PANSHANGER TL 21 SE 5/69 Riverside Cottage - - II

Fishing or gamekeeper's cottage to Panshanger Estate. 1755-63 probably as part of Capability Brown's work for the 2nd Earl Cowper when the house was at Cole Green Park. Altered, raised and extended in early C19 following Humphry Repton's landscaping of the Mimram valley for the 5th Earl Cowper in 1799-1801 when the house was moved N and renamed Panshanger. English bond red brick with later Flemish bond stock brick. Slate roof. A small octagon with 2 longer sides to which there are lean-to outshuts, only one of which is original. Originally 1 storey now 2. All doors and windows blocked at time of inspection. Gabled entrance porch to S facing river, moulded door surround. Canted elevations flanking porch have ground floor openings with timber sills, cambered heads. First floor central opening in stock brick below a weatherboarded gable. Deep boxed eaves. Central cross axial ridge stack. Roof hipped out over lean-tos. Stack to right. Similar openings on returns. To rear as at opposite end with a central recessed entrance. Additional entrance to left in early lean-to. Interior not inspected. (L. Stone in Studies for Sir John Summerson, The County Seat, ed. Colvin/Harris. 1970: J. Brushe, Architectural History, vol.24, 1981: Pevsner 1977: Country Life 11 and 18/1/1936).

Listing NGR: TL2937812512

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 356175

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Architectural History' in Architectural History, , Vol. 24, (1981)
'Country Life' in 11 January, (1936)
'Country Life' in 18 January, (1936)
'The Country Seat Studies in the History of the British Country House' in The Country Seat Studies in the History of the British Country House, (1970)
'The Country Seat Studies in the History of the British Country House' in The Country Seat Studies in the History of the British Country House, (1970)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,

End of official listing