This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1054109

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Telford and Wrekin

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Chetwynd

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jun-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 361883

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHETWYND Church of St Michael and 1. All Angels 5362

SJ 72 SW 20/28 18.6.59

II* GV

2. 1865-7 by Benjamin Ferrey. Large rock-faced red sandstone church with tiled roofs. Nave, chancel, south aisle, north tower and north porch. Nave has plate traceried 2-light windows. North aisle has 2 and 3-light cusped arch lariets. West end of nave has wheel window. The chancel has lancets and 3-light east window with geometric tracery. Gabled north porch, the arch carried on scalloped corbels. North tower with shallow setback buttresses with set-offs. Two-light bell openings. Stone broach spire with one tier of lucarnes. Polygonal stair turret half-way up the tower. Interior: north arcade forward half bays with circular marble piers and richly carved composite capitals. The chancel arch is carried on corbels with short marble shafts. Arch-braced nave roof.

Listing NGR: SJ7356221310

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 73562 21310

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054109 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2017 at 09:50:36.

End of official listing