OFFICE RANGE IMMEDIATELY SOUTH OF CLOCK TOWER WAREHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1054138

Date first listed: 08-Apr-1983

Statutory Address: OFFICE RANGE IMMEDIATELY SOUTH OF CLOCK TOWER WAREHOUSE, COALBROOKDALE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OFFICE RANGE IMMEDIATELY SOUTH OF CLOCK TOWER WAREHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054138 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 04:56:44.

Location

Statutory Address: OFFICE RANGE IMMEDIATELY SOUTH OF CLOCK TOWER WAREHOUSE, COALBROOKDALE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Telford and Wrekin (Unitary Authority)

Parish: The Gorge

National Grid Reference: SJ6674104685

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 6604 THE GORGE COALBROOKDALE Coalbrookdale Ironworks 8.4.83 Office range immediately South of Clock tower Warehouse

GV II

Offices of Coalbrookdale Company, formerly a Yard building and Fire Engine House. 1838-47, extended later C19, altered circa mid C20. Stone, largely rebuilt in brick. Clay plain tile hipped roofs. Brick axial and lateral stacks. PLAN: Originally L-shaped building, built between 1838 and 1847. Lengthened and heightened to 2 storeys, with addition of wings and canopied bays by 1883 and used principally as offices. Open canopied bays were enclosed in mid C20. Now comprises 2-storey L-shaped N-S main range with east wing with a SW wing at right angles. On east side of main range 3-bay single storey range, attached to which on the SE is a 2-storey wing. EXTERIOR: 2 storey main range with large multi-pane cast-iron windows with central pivot lights, some with cambered brick arches, others with cast-iron lintels. Lower section of east wall of main range is built of stone rubble. INTERIOR: Projection on north side has straight staircase with ornate cast-iron balusters and newel; the newel was originally surmounted by a cast-iron figure which is now in the museum. First floor offices have cast-iron ceiling roses and ventilators and board room has plaster cornice. Central range has cast-iron columns [mostly boxed in] supporting roofs. SOURCE: The Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust, The Coalbrookdale Project.

Listing NGR: SJ6674104685

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 361947

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Ironbidge Gorge Museum Trust, , The Coalbrookdale Project

End of official listing